Wednesday, July 24, 2013

2013 Vacation Day 3

From Erik: "What is the sound of one hand clapping"
 and "I guess this is Minnesota naughty"
Saturday morning we woke up around 8:30 to the sound of rain. We had some muffins we brought along from home for breakfast and decided that we would cache from the truck today instead of biking the Paul Bunyan Trail. On our way out of the park we decided to try for the multicache again.  This time I had the 98% DEET bug spray that helped tremendously.  With the right coordinates we quickly found the cache to start off the day. Just outside the park is a visitor center that had a cache, so we stopped for that and I was inspired to take a picture of Erin and Paul Bunyan. I wonder how many other people have a similar picture? From there we drove into Brainerd cache along the way until lunch time.  At the information center we had picked up some brochures about local restaurants and decided to try the Sawmill Inn.  I figured I couldn't go wrong with ordering pancakes in a place called the Sawmill Inn, but I was mistaken.  Erin's food wasn't fantastic either, but it filled us up and we were back to caching in the rain again. After getting most of the caches around town that weren't on the bike trail we decided to go to the Bolder Tap for supper. From what we had read about it, they specialized in burgers and seemed like it would be a great place.  Unfortunately it didn't live up to our expectations.  We ordered cheese curds, but I don't think they have any idea what cheese curds are supposed to be. What we got were large blocks of a not particularly great cheese that had been fried.  Ok, I could have read the menu a little more closely and avoided this, I'll take some blame.  Then the burgers came out and they were awful. I think it was because their meat wasn't very good quality, but it's hard to pin down exactly where things went wrong with it.  It's rare that I don't finish a hamburger, but this one wasn't worth eating.  Wow, we had done a great job of picking restaurants.  After supper we came back to camp and got a fire going.  The strong bug spray seemed to do the trick, and we sat around the fire snacking until we decided to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment