Sunday, January 16, 2011

First week of marathon training

This week was the start of the marathon training group.  We had a loosely organized fun run on Saturday.  There was about 20 of us that ran from the downtown Y.  The full marathon group was shooting for around 7 miles.  Erin ran with Rick and Carolyn(We just met Carolyn this morning), while I ran a head with a group of about 6 runners.  I was able to get in a bonus mile after I returned to the Y by going back out to look for Erin.  The weather was nice and most people I talked to said they had overdressed for the conditions.

This morning I got up early and ran 5 miles by myself.  I really enjoy running with friends in a group, but every now and then it's nice to go by yourself.  It was -7 out, but the wind was very light.  Since it was early on a Sunday morning I was the only person out and the only sound was the soft crunch of the newly fallen snow as I cruised around the neighborhood.  The first 3 miles I has some tightness in my legs and felt pressure in both of my calf muscles. I've felt this a few times in the past weeks, generally when I'm tired.  Hopefully I can figure out what is causing this and how I can adjust so it doesn't happen.

Later this morning Erin and I are going to the gym to workout with one of Erin's coworkers and her husband.  They're new to the whole going to the gym experience, so Erin and I are going to do our best impression of personal trainers and show them how things work and get them started.

This coming week I'm going to focus on what I eat and keeping my activity level up.  I think I'll also try to work in some intervals on the bike at the gym and see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment